History of Hinton-in-the-Hedges
The village of Hinton-in-the-hedges is in South Northamptonshire, approx. 2 miles west of Brackley, the home of the Mercedes GP Petronas Formula One Team. Hinton was mentioned in the Domesday book where it reported:
- Total population: 18 households (medium). (Population was counted in heads of families so the real population was probably up to 5 times larger)
- Total tax assessed: 2 geld units (quite small).
- Value: Value to lord in 1066 £1.5. Value to lord in 1086 £3.5.
- Households: 11 villagers. 5 smallholders. 2 slaves. (As recorded in 1086 – households rather than individuals)
- Ploughland: 5 ploughlands (land for). 2 lord's plough teams. 3 men's plough teams.
- Other resources: Meadow 16 acres. Woodland 2 * 0.5 furlongs. 1 mill, value 0.1.
The parish church is dedicated to The Most Holy Trinity. A church has existed here since Saxon times the earliest recorded Rector being Sir Richard de Hynton in 1275. There are monuments to Sir William Hinton (d.13th century), Raynold Braye (d.1582) and Salathiell Crewe (d.1686)
Wikipedia page on Hinton-in-the-Hedges
The Old Post Office in Hinton around 1910
Taken at the back of the Crewe Arms. This is now a private residence
Video of the changes in the village
Please check back to this page regularly as a large archive of the village has recently come to light and more information will be added to the history page over the coming months.